Friday, September 9, 2011

Week Two: Down in the Valley

Sorry this is a late start with the blogs.


What was very strong for me in this song, despite my uncertainty about the lyrics at times, is a sense of intensity of feeling that is fully divulged, of acceptance of a loss and reverence for the melancholy that ought come with it. In my picture I wanted to link the idea of a valley, this lowness, this melancholy, with the people who are involved, and to pain the part of the woman, whose side you do not hear. I did not mean for the two figures to be the speaker/singer and his lady, but rather the lady and her lover, or at least a possible form of them. They are meant to be beautiful and easy because I wanted to hold onto the idea that the melancholy and loss of the speaker might not be unjust, but just be, as loss is sometimes the way of things, and that sadness can be caused by beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment