Thursday, September 22, 2011

Week Four: Banks of The Ohio

This song (and I am listening now to the Joan Baez version) is so sad and so beautiful. It is an combination of the sense of the loss, the guilt the singer feels for killing his love, and the sense of the love, a love which could render such great loss. It is the sense of holding tight to something that you know is going away soon, that you only want to keep holding on to. Further, it is something that you are driving away, or have driven away, so mixed in is a sense of anger and regret.

My piece this week (sorry I still don't have images) is a wire sculpture. I think that the river is a great medium to express the feeling of this song, as I said above, the sense of something that you can't hold onto, like water running through your fingers. It also makes me think of the passage of time, of the ability to move over and through love and loss and anger, and then to sing about it. I tried to capture this movement in my sculpture, and to make one think of a river through the use of blue and from having an origin of flow, an upstream vanishing point so to say. There is downward movement too, however, because it is a song about loss and ultimately of drowning. The ring is sort of obvious, but I like it.

2 comments:

  1. Add a photo so we can see it, Brooke! Seems to be important with what you write...even a cell-phone shot will do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, here's where that dance comes from... The presentation is a little stylized, but you'll see why I love it. Chamamé, from the northeast of Argentina

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uize0K0FFwo&feature=related

    ReplyDelete